A blog / dirt sheet for my All Elite Wrestling promotion, based on the results produced by the game Pro-Wrestling Superstar (PWS).

January 02, 2019

"Mean" Gene Okerlund


I am so saddened to hear of the passing of "Mean" Gene Okerlund.  He was the consistent voice of wrestling for me from my childhood watching WWF on the weekends, and on into college until WCW closed its doors in 2001.  Announcers and wrestlers came and went, but Gene Okerlund was always there.

His interviews were legendary.  Watching him stand next to legends like Andre The Giant, "Macho Man" Randy Savage and Hulk Hogan, just to name a few.  Mean Gene was the consummate professional and was able to get the best out of anyone he interviewed.

Kurt Angle said it best, "Very seldom does an interviewer become just as popular, and at times even more popular than the superstars he/she interviews. Gene Okerlund was that person."

My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family.  He was 76 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Mean" Gene Okerlund

I am so saddened to hear of the passing of "Mean" Gene Okerlund.  He was the consistent voice of wrestling for me from my child...